Thursday, October 3, 2013

31 Days...Praying For My Enemy

Surrendering Unforgiveness


So, I'm a few days late in joining this 31 day challenge.  I just couldn't decide what I would write about.
Many of you are writing so many uplifting, or helpful posts.  I tossed around a few ideas and even thought I'll do it next year and then...

I began to hear a faint whisper

that has turned into a nagging roar.

I tried to ignore it, push it away, justify 'not now', but He just wouldn't leave me alone.

I have a root of bitterness in my heart... and I need to be set free.


I have never been a person to struggle with unforgiveness.  I'm not easily offended, nor do I hold onto things.  That is, until 10 months ago.  My family came under the most intense attack I could ever imagine.  Not your every day kind of persecution.  But a relentless, calculated, deliberate destruction of our entire family, including my three young girls.

The most damaging part of all of this - our persecutors are fellow Christians, and church leadership, people that we trusted, admired, and felt safe around.

Because my children come from hard places to begin with, the effects of these past months has been incredibly traumatizing for them.  It has triggered many of their deepest wounds, their hidden fears - has truly shaken them to their very core.  We are knee-deep in fall-out every day.

So this is my struggle.  How to forgive... when my children, our family is still so terribly wounded.

If any one reads this, I covet your prayers.  That through this 31 days, God will show me the path to forgiveness.  I know I will wrestle every day - And I will share my ugly, sin-filled soul with you as I seek to pray for those that have so injured us.  I pray that in some way this can be an encouragement. A knowing... that if you struggle with unforgiveness- you are not alone.

So with much trepidation, and dragging of feet-

I begin my journey.

"But I say to you, love your enemies, and pray for those who persecute you in order that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. "For if you love those who love you, what reward have you? Do not even the tax-gatherers do the same? "  Matthew 5:44-46

Day 2: (which is really day 4) Stripping Away.... Abundant Life

3 comments:

  1. Hi Isa, what a beautiful, powerful topic you chose to write on for 31 Days! I will pray right along with you as you struggle to learn how to forgive people who hurt you and the ones you love so deeply.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so so brave. I love your heart for healing for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too have be deeply wounded by church leadership and forgiving those hurts has been a LONG process. Thanks for sharing so honestly.

    ReplyDelete